|Sunday, August 3|
|9 am|| Opening Ceremonies
||10 am || Allied Champions Battle ||1 Point
• Allies request 80 to 120 men on a side.
• Number to be finalized Middle Saturday evening.
• Capture the flag, per traditional rule set.
• 1 hour resurrection
• Wait at resurrection point until released (every 5 minutes)
• Two flags, scored by moving flag to resurrection point
• Flag bearer must have gauntlets, and is engaged 360 degrees
|10:30 am|| Unbelted Champions Battle ||1 Point
30 fighters, one pass; Crowns may not fight; Heirs may fight; No allies.
||11:00 am || Belted Champions Battle ||1 Point
20 fighters, 1 pass. Crowns may not fight; Heirs may fight; No allies.
|| 11:30 - 12:30 pm ||Break for Court business and rest before Heroic Champions
||12:30 pm || Heroic Champions Battle ||1 Point
• No one who fought in the Belted Champions Battle may fight in Heroics except Heirs.
• Heirs will resolve a tie.
• Format is one on one, weapons need not be matched.
• 12 total fights: Principal kingdoms provide 3 unbelts, 4 belts with no more than 2 Royal Peers between the belts & unbelts, 5 allied combatants of any rank.
• Double kills to be refought.
• Whoever is ahead in points at the beginning of the Heroic Champions chooses the first fighter, then alternate.
| 2:30 - 5:00 pm || Rapier Champions Battle ||1 Points
• 1 Melee (10 principal and 10 allies).
• 1 Queen’s champion bout.
• 1 King’s champion bout.
• 1 Cut & Thrust bout (from principal or ally).
• 21 Bouts (11 principal/10 allied) paired in advance.
• Dead is dead – double kills are not refought.
• A tie is possible and results in no points.
|Each Day ||Populace Archery Shoot ||9 Points
Each archer may shoot up to 5 times, at each of the 3 traditional shoots, on any day or combination of days.
days. No archer may
shoot more than 5 times at each of the ranges.
Each shoot is worth 3 points, awarded on Friday, after the range closes
NOTE: On Friday, August 8, the archery range will be open from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm for the Populace Archery War Point Shoot. The range will close at 1:30 pm for tabulation of the results prior to Closing Ceremonies, at 2:00 pm on the Battlefield. NOTE: On Friday, August 8, the archery range will be open from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm for the Populace Archery War Point Shoot. The range will close at 1:30 pm for tabulation of the results prior to Closing Ceremonies, which occur at 2:00 pm on the Battlefield.
|Monday, August 4
||10:00 am || 5 Armored Field Battles ||1 Point each (5 total)
||• Field Battles will be fought in an East-West orientation on a 600' x 600' field.
• Middle Kingdom and Allies will start on the East side of the field
• East Kingdom and Allies will start on the West side of the field.
• Starting lines to be 100 feet from the edge of field.
• Reset time between battles is 15 minutes.
• Combat archery in all battles – no re-inspection of arrows between battles.
• No siege.
• All holds to be general & kept to a minimum.
|2:00 pm || Rapier Field Battles ||1 Point each (3 total)
||15 minute water break between battles. Death from behind is allowed.
All holds are general. |
A Friendship battle will be fought 20 minutes after the third battle.
|Tuesday, August 5
||11:00 am || Armored Woods Battles ||7 banners, 5 Points
• 2 - 60 minute resurrection battles; sides switch between battles.
• There will 4 resurrection points (2 each in the lower woods and upper woods), sides will start in either of their own resurrection areas.
• The Crowns (or representative) will verify the positions of the banners prior to the battle.
• Two points will be awarded to the side with the most banners at the end of each of the two battles.
• 30 minutes between battles.
• The Center banner will be timed for the duration of both battles. The side which holds the banner for the longest time will be awarded an additional war point.
• The East & allies will start on the southern side for the first battle.
• The Middle & allies will start on the northern side for the first battle.
• The Crowns or chosen representatives will meet at Æthelmearc War Practice to determine the position of the banners (4 of 7 expected to shift slightly).
• No combat archery, no siege.
|2:00 - 4:00 pm || Siege Competition War Point ||1 Point
||2:00 pm || Rapier Woods Battle||3 Points
• Both sides would prefer to use the lower portion of the woods for this battle however if a mutually agreeable arrangement of banners and resurrection zones cannot be found the battle site will revert to the upper woods.
• This is an unlimited Resurrection battle with Death From Behind allowed. Resurrection zone will be chosen by the side behind on points the day prior to the battle.
• Local holds.
• Three banners will be contested, equidistant from each side’s resurrection zone. There will be banner checks at semi-random times (20 +/- 8 min mark; 40 +/-8 min mark; 65 +/-8 min mark) to be randomly determined by the marshalate prior to the start of battle and not revealed to the combatants. The side whose flag is raised has control of banner. Majority of banners at each check receives 1 war point.
|Wednesday, August 6
||9:00 am - all day || Archery Champions Shoot ||1 Point
||30 Total Champions (20 Principle, 10 Allied). The shoot will be a balance of accuracy & speed shoots.
||Service War Point |
(hours from Sat, Sun, Mon)
||Thursday, August 7
||9:00 am || Thrown Weapons ||1 Point
||10:00 am ||5 Armored Bridge Battles ||1 Point each (5 total)
• Bridges are 18 feet, 27 feet, 27 feet, 27 feet, and 18 feet, each separated by 54 feet
• Siege and archery in all 5 battles.
• Projectile weapons will only be used on the center 3 bridges.
• Archers may not advance onto the bridge to fire.
• Siege Engines will only deploy 50 feet from bridge end (from the mid-point between first and second bridge and mid-point between fourth and fifth).
• No arrows or siege ammunition will be re-inspected between battles.
• A point is awarded for ownership of 3 of 5 bridges.
• All contested bridges will be fought.
• No fighting on the hay bales. Incidental contact is OK.
|2:00 pm |
(after Bridge Battles)
| Rapier Ruins Battle ||3 Points
• The rattan bridge structure will be modified into a variety of terrains (see attached). Three banners will be contested, one centered in the building, one centered in the broken field and one centered in the open field equidistant from each sides resurrection line. Resurrection lines will be 20 yards from the edge of the nearest structure or obstacle.
• This is an unlimited Resurrection battle with Death From Behind allowed. General holds.
• There will be banner checks at semi-random times (20 +/- 5 minute mark; 40 +/-5 minute mark; 65 +/-5 minute mark) to be randomly determined by the marshalate prior to the start of battle and not revealed to the combatants. The side whose flag is raised has control of banner. Majority of banners at each check receives 1 war point.
• Field to be set to a mutually agreeable state by teams from both sides using two bridge’s worth of broken field, one bridge built into the building. The next line of bales is the edge of the world
• Building walls will not be fought over.
• Broken field bales may be fought over, but not stepped over.
|Friday, August 8
||10:00 am||Castle Battles||6 Points
• 2 - 30 minute resurrection battles with 3 banners.
• 1 banner per point.
• 1 banner in fort, 1 banner in tower outside of fort, 1 in open field, roughly in a curved line from fort opening extending south and then south west. See map.
• Switch sides between battles.
• Combat archery and siege will be allowed in this battle – only the side facing AWAY from Currie Road will be allowed the use of missile weapons. Bi-directional firing may be allowed pending safety review and agreement by the crowns and earls marshal.
|Service War Point |
(hours from Tues, Wed, Thurs)
||1:30 pm ||Archery Range closes
||2:00 pm||Closing Ceremonies
This is the recognized web site for the Pennsic War of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. Pennsicwar.org was designed by and is maintained by Mistress Jessa d'Avondale (Marla Lecin). This site may contain electronic versions of the group's governing documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating office will be decided in favor of the printed version. For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this web site, please contact the Webminister, who will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors. Copyright ©2014 Pennsic War. The original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site.
The photo on this page is used by permission of Thorolfr inn smithr. Most of the illuminations used on this site are from the Manesse Codex.