Greetings unto the scholars and students of the Known World!
We of Pennsic University are looking forward to helping you learn.
There are more than a thousand classes to choose from – peruse the class schedule and prepare to be amazed at the breadth and depth of the knowledge that can be found in our SCA.
Pennsic University is only made possible by the dedication and talents of every one of our hundreds of instructors who volunteer their time and expertise to inspire and teach. Thank you all so much for sharing your SCA with the rest of us!
Visit the University’s Facebook page for info and updates about this year’s classes!
Please log in with the same email and password as last year; all your teacher information should still be there.
You will be asked to update your profile. Please take the time to make sure all your information is up-to-date and correct: date of arrival at Pennsic, Kingdom, Phone, Email, etc.
You will be able to import your classes from last year:
- On your Classes page you will see last year's classes.
- If you click on the "Request for This Year" button, a class form will open up with all the data already filled out (except anything related to date or scheduling).
- Please review the class information, make sure it is current and correct, and then enter your day/time requests and any other special scheduling info.
- Click the "Create Class" button and you are done!
After you arrive at Pennsic, please check in at University Point at your earliest convenience, to let us know you are on-site and ready to teach, and to pick up your teacher tokens.
If your class will be held in a private camp, merchant tent, or other location, please provide University Point with detailed directions to your camp from the Point.
University Point is open Tuesday, August 1 through Friday, August 11
Teachers are not required nor expected to check IDs or ages of anyone attending their classes. We trust that parents will use good judgement in sending their children to appropriate classes; and that the teachers will use good judgement and inform the responsible adult with any youth if material in the class is unsuitable for minors.
There is no charge to attend any Pennsic classes. Some classes have handout and/or materials fees, but you may audit any class without cost, subject to safety considerations. There are no signup lists permitted for any class. All class materials should be provided in a first come/first serve basis.
Please do not come to "reserve" your place far ahead of your intended class when there is a class in session in the tent. Please use an empty tent to wait.
For help in finding class times and locations, or for directions to classes held at other locations around Pennsic come to University Point – we are located between on St. Lawrence Way in the Pennsic University block.
- Minors are welcome to attend Pennsic University classes, except for those noted as "Adults Only".
- Any minor (under 18) who wishes to attend a University class in a private encampment, a merchant booth, or in Bog University tents must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who stays with them during the class.
- Children under 12 may attend classes in the regular University tents but must have a parent or legal guardian within direct eyesight for the duration of the class.
- Children under 12 may attend YouthU and TeenU classes in the University tents unaccompanied.
Pennsic Event Guide
The schedule of classes is listed in the Pennsic Event Guide. However, this book goes to press well before War starts.
Additions, deletions, and changes to classes will be posted each day at University Point and printed in the Pennsic Independent newspaper. You can also use Thing online (look under "Schedules/Changes from Book").
Up-to-date class listings
The full class schedule is available at the online University Class scheduling site, Thing. Use the "Schedule/All Classes" menu to view printable/mobile device-friendly versions of the calendar.
You can also create an account on Thing to follow the classes you want to take, and create your own personal schedule of classes to print off or view on your mobile device.
If you have any issues using Thing or any bugs or Kudos you wish to pass on to the developers, then please report them at https://github.com/skandragon/thing.
Pennsic University activities take place in several locations.
- University Square (St. Lily's Commons)
Class tents 1 - 13
- Dragon Trace tents
Class tents 14 - 16
- TumbleHome Square
Class tents 17-20
- Bog U (block E24, southeast side of the lake)
- Dance Pavilion, Games' Tent
- Battlefield Tent, Battlefield Loud 1 and Battlefield Loud 2 tents, Main Battlefield, Tourney Fields (east side of the Battlefield), Archery Range, Thrown Weapons Range
- College of Performing Arts, Amphitheater
(see map - behind the merchants on the Great Middle Hwy)
- Performing Arts Rehearsal and Classroom Tent - Located by amphitheater (near willow tree)
- Youth Point, Heralds' Point
(by the Playground)
- Middle Eastern Pavilion
(east side of the Great Middle Hwy, on top of the hill)
- Æthelmearc Scribal Pavilion, Private Camps, Merchant Booths: directions available at University Point
We strongly encourage volunteers to become part of the Pennsic University team. Many hands make light(er) work! Please contact The University Point Coordinator
Positions: Five people are needed for each 2 hour shift:
University Point desk staff - 2 per shift, to answer questions and assist students in finding classes.
Pennsic University Ambassadors - 2 per shift, to rove around the University area providing directions, along with some other duties around the University.
University Point Shift Supervisor - 1 per shift, to answer questions and man the database.
All positions will be documented with easy-to-use reference cards, so you don't need any special knowledge, except the knowledge that we will think you are awesome!
- to get in touch with one of last year's teachers
- to get information about a previous year's class, or
- to request that a class be taught again this year
please contact the Registrar or the University Point Coordinator (see top of page) by email or through our Facebook page.