What is the Known World Choir?
The Known World Choir (KWC) is a group of people from across the Kingdoms of the SCA who love to sing a cappella choral music from the Middle Ages and Renaissance. Singers gather, rehearse, and perform at major SCA wars like Lilies, Gulf wars, and Pennsic.
The Known World Choirs at Pennsic are also known as the Pennsic Choirs.
The Pennsic Choirs
The Pennsic Choir has a decades-long tradition of performing medieval and renaissance choral music at the Pennsic War. In recent years it has expanded into four Pennsic Choirs, each with its own director. Directorship changes each year.
The choirs perform a joint concert on Thursday, August 6, in the Performing Arts Tent. Warmup is at 6:00 pm at the European Dance Tent; the performances begin at 6:30 pm in the following order: Children's Choir, Youth Choir, Chorulus Pennsicus, Pennsic Choir.
Most rehearsals take place in the Performing Arts Rehearsal & Class Tent, located next to the Amphitheater.
For detailed information on all four Pennsic Choirs, including directors' contact information as well as downloadable sheet music and audio files for practicing, visit the Known World Choir website.
Registration (for the Pennsic Choir only)
The Pennsic ChoirThe Pennsic Choir is an open choir for anyone able to attend a 2-hour daily rehearsal and sing moderately complex choral music.
- There is no audition, and participants do not need to know how to sight-sing.
- If you would like to sing with the Pennsic Choir, please pre-register. Pre-registration is not required, but is appreciated since it helps the director to plan.
- All music is posted on the Known World Choir website, in the form of both sheet music and audio files, for singers to practice on their own.
- Rehearsals: 10AM-Noon from Thursday, Aug 4 through Wednesday, August 10th at the Performing Arts Rehearsal Tent, or PARC, which is by the Ampitheatre. Dress Rehearsal is on Thursday, August 11th and the Concert is that evening.
Chorulus PennsicusChorulus Pennsicus is an audition-based choir of 8-20 voices, which performs more complex and challenging music than the full Pennsic Choir.
- To participate, you must audition for the director, which can be done via audio/video or in person at Pennsic. See the Known World Choir website for more information.
- Unlike the other three choirs, Chorulus Pennsicus rehearses in a private camp on the Serengeti.
- Rehearsals: Rehearsals: 4:00 – 5:00 pm (some days will be from 4:15 to 5:30) from Saturday August 6th through Wednesday August 10th. Dress Rehearsal is on Thursday, August 11th and the Concert is that evening.
- Auditions for next year’s Chorulus Pennsicus will be held on Monday, August 8th from 12:30 to 2pm in the Battlefield University Tent.
The Pennsic Youth ChoirThe Pennsic Youth Choir is an open choir for children ages 12-19 who can attend a one-hour daily rehearsal. The Youth Choir performs rounds and part-songs in 2 or 3 parts.
- Rehearsals: Noon-1pm from Saturday, August 6th through Wednesday, August 10th at the Performing Arts Rehearsal Tent, or PARC, which is by the Ampitheatre. Dress Rehearsal is on Thursday, August 6th and the Concert is that evening.
The Pennsic Children’s ChoirThe Pennsic Children’s Choir is an open choir for children under age 12 who can focus for a one-hour daily rehearsal. The Children’s Choir performs rounds and other songs in 1 or 2 parts.
- A parent or other responsible adult (not including the choir director) must attend rehearsals with their children.
- Rehearsals: 1-2PM from Sunday, August 7th through Wednesday, August 10th at the Performing Arts Rehearsal Tent, or PARC, which is by the Ampitheatre. Dress Rehearsal is on Thursday, August 11th and the Concert is that evening.
Please use the on-line form to register by July 24.
After July 24 please see the director at a rehearsal during Pennsic, or inquire at University Point.
If you have any problems using the on-line form, please email the following info to the director:
- SCA Name
- Modern Name
- Mailing Address (Street, City, State/Province, Country, Postal/Zip code)
- Email address
- Kingdom affiliation
- Voice Part 1: first preference
- Voice Part 2: alternate parts you’re willing to sing, if any
- Expected date of arrival at Pennsic
- Approximate experience level